When using credit card
- Try to keep your credit card in sight when using it for a transaction.
- Ensure that your card is returned after each transaction.
- Do not sign credit card slips without an amount.
- Keep all card receipts / statements in a safe place, or destroy them.
- Do not disclose your credit card number over the phone, unless you are dealing with a reputable company.
- Avoid entering credit card information when using public computers, such as those in internet cafes, or when using websites that are not secure.
- Do not respond to emails that ask you to provide credit card information.
Protecting your cards
- Sign your cards as soon as you receive them.
- Treat cards like cash. Never leave them unattended or lend them to anyone.
- Carry only the cards that you need.
- Make a list of your credit card numbers and the telephone numbers that you should use to report lost or stolen cards. Keep the list in a safe place, away from the cards.
- Check your card expiry date. If a replacement card has not arrived at least one week before your current card expires, contact the bank to find out why.
Cardholder Identify Authentication
- Register to Verified by Visa and MasterCard® SecureCode™ to protect your credit cards while shopping online.
- You may visit HSBC's Secure Online Payment page at http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/hk/cards/secure-payments for details and registration.
General points to remember
- Check your statements immediately upon receipt.
- If you spot any unusual transactions, report them to the bank immediately.
- Consider using Internet banking to check the transactions on your account more frequently.
If you lose your card, call HSBC Personal Banking Hotline (852) 2233 3000 immediately.