Mobile Security Key
Available via the HSBC HK Mobile Banking app, the Mobile Security Key replaces your physical security device, allowing you to log in mobile banking easily. With the Mobile Security Key, you can generate security code to access internet banking service more quickly. Mobile and online banking would be safer and more convenient.
Bank-grade securityThe Mobile Security Key has advanced security features designed to protect you and give you peace of mind
Faster accessLog on more quickly with your Mobile Security Key so you can get things done more speedily
Biometric authenticationLog on instantly and authenticate online transactions with Touch ID/Face ID or fingerprint authentication on compatible Android™ mobile devices1
A simpler digital banking experience
Use your Mobile Security Key to enable push notifications2 on the HSBC HK App. That way, you'll be notified when
- you've been paid via Faster Payment System (FPS)
- your new eStatements are ready
- you've paid your credit card
- your credit card bill is coming up
You can also use your Mobile Security Key to enable 'Chat with us', so you can get in touch with us about your banking enquiries, without the wait. It's as easy as texting a friend
Make payments via FPS more quickly just by scanning a QR code once you've activated your Mobile Security Key and registered for FPS
Haven't tried the HSBC HK App yet? Download today
Activation - Quick Guide
How to activate your Mobile Security Key if you've only set up a memorable answer and password
How to activate your Mobile Security Key if you currently have a physical Security Device
Tips to Change Device
Things to know before changing device
- It is recommended that you have your old device with you when changing devices.
- To log on to the app on your new device, you'll need to know your online banking username, 'memorable answer' and 'password'. (Note: Your Mobile Security Key password on the old device is NOT required)
- If you've forgotten your 'memorable answer' or 'password', you can reset it by logging on to online banking and answering your pre-set security questions.
1. Select 'Log on' on the HSBC website, then 'Personal Internet Banking'.
2. Enter your username and select 'Continue'.
3. Select 'Forgot your memorable answer?' or 'Forgot your password?' to reset it.
- If you've forgotten both "memorable answer" and "password", please contact us via hotline for assistance.
- The Mobile Security Key on your old device will be automatically deactivated, and the associated Mobile Security Key password will no longer be valid once you've successfully activated your Mobile Security Key on your new device.
How to switch your Mobile Security Key to a new phone (when you still have your old device)
How to switch your Mobile Security Key to a new phone (when you don't have your old device)
Enable Biometric Authentication
Enjoy a smoother, all-round mobile banking experience. With just a smile, you can authenticate your identity and access mobile banking in seconds using iOS Face ID*. You can also log on and confirm transactions with just a touch in the HSBC HK App using iOS Touch ID or Fingerprint ID on compatible AndroidTM devices1.
Activate the Mobile Security Key and enable biometric authentication today to make your mobile and online banking experience that much easier. To learn more about the associated risks of using biometric authentication, please refer to FAQs listed below on this page.
*Available on compatible devices only.
How to enable biometric authentication on compatible devices (Face ID/ Touch ID for Apple devices and *Fingerprint ID for Android™ devices)
Generate Security Code – Quick Guide
How to 'Generate Security Code'
Please note: The screenshots are for reference and illustration purposes only. If you currently run HSBC HK App below version 3.0, you can download the steps here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about my existing physical Security Device?
How do I use Mobile Security Key to log on to Personal Internet Banking?
I have activated Mobile Security Key on a jailbroken / rooted device earlier, but I could no longer access the mobile app anymore, what should I do?
Can I use Face ID to log on and confirm transactions in the HSBC HK Mobile Banking app?
What do I need to know before enabling Face ID for HSBC HK Mobile Banking app?
Got further questions? You can find out more about the app and the Mobile Security Key on our FAQ page.
- The screen displays and the images of the website are for reference and illustration purposes only.
- Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Touch ID and Face ID are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC. Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
- HSBC adopts the latest internet security measure with the adoption of EV SSL Certificate (Extended Validation SSL Certificate). With this verification certificate in place, you can instantly know you're on a genuine HSBC website. We suggest customer to check the digital certificate with a desktop computer.
1 Fingerprint authentication is available on compatible Android™ devices running Android™ OS version 8.0 or later. In addition, the following devices will support fingerprint authentication: Samsung (Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A70, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A40s, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A9, Galaxy A8 Star, Galaxy A7, Galaxy A6+, Galaxy J6, Galaxy C9 Pro, Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Note 5), LG (Q Stylus+, V40 ThinQ, V30+, V20, G7, G6, G6+), Sony (Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual, Xperia XA2 Plus, Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XZ1 Dual, Xperia 10, Xperia 10+, Xperia 1, Xperia L3), Google (Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel), Xiaomi (Mi 9 T Pro, Mi 9S, Mi 9T, Mi 9, Mi 8, Mi A3, Mi A2, Redmi Note 7, Mix 2S, POCOPHONE F1), Huawei (Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20 X, Mate 20, Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, P30, P30 Pro, P 20, P20 Pro, nova 4, nova 3i, Y9 Prime 2019), Nokia (9 Pureview, 8.1, 8, 8 Sirocco, 7 Plus, 6.1 Plus), OnePlus (7, 7 Pro, 6, 5T, 6T), OPPO (R17, R15, Reno 10X Zoom, Find X), Blackberry (Key2, Key2LE), Vivo (NEX Dual Display, iQOO Pro), ZenFone(6) and HTC (U12+).
2 You should ensure that your mobile phone and other telecommunications equipment and related services are capable of receiving Push Notification Alerts through push notifications. Push notification runs on the service provided by Apple Inc. ("Apple") or Google LLC ("Google"), as applicable. Any delay or failure in delivering push notification messages due to Apple's or Google's service or network connectivity is beyond our control.