Mobile Security Key
The Mobile Security Key is part of the HSBC HK Mobile Banking app (HSBC HK App) and replaces the physical security device. You can use it to log on to mobile and online banking, and authenticate transactions more easily and conveniently.
The Mobile Security Key has advanced security features designed to protect you and give you peace of mind
Log on more quickly with your Mobile Security Key so you can get things done more speedily
Log on instantly and authenticate online transactions with Touch ID/Face ID on Apple mobile devices or fingerprint authentication on compatible Android™ mobile devices1
A simpler digital banking experience
Use your Mobile Security Key to enable push notifications2 on the HSBC HK App. That way, you'll be notified when
- you've been paid via Faster Payment System (FPS)
- your new eStatements are ready
- you've paid your credit card
- your credit card bill is coming up
You can also use your Mobile Security Key to enable 'Chat with us', so you can get in touch with us about your banking enquiries, without the wait. It's as easy as texting a friend
Make payments via FPS more quickly just by scanning a QR code once you've activated your Mobile Security Key and registered for FPS
Haven't tried the HSBC HK App yet? Download today
Activation - Quick Guide
How to activate your Mobile Security Key if you only have memorable answer and password setup
How to activate your Mobile Security Key if you currently have a physical Security Device
|Tips for changing your device|
Things to know before changing device
- It is recommended that you have your old device with you when changing devices.
- To log on to the app on your new device, you'll need to know your online banking username, 'memorable answer' and 'password'. (Note: Your Mobile Security Key password on the old device is NOT required)
- If you've forgotten your 'memorable answer' or 'password', you can reset it by logging on to online banking and answering your pre-set security questions.
1. Select 'Log on' on the HSBC website, then 'Personal Internet Banking'.
2. Enter your username and select 'Continue'.
3. Select 'Forgot your memorable answer?' or 'Forgot your password?' to reset it.
- If you've forgotten both "memorable answer" and "password", please contact us via hotline for assistance.
- The Mobile Security Key on your old device will be automatically deactivated, and the associated Mobile Security Key password will no longer be valid once you've successfully activated your Mobile Security Key on your new device.
How to switch your Mobile Security Key to a new phone (when you still have your old device)
How to switch your Mobile Security Key to a new phone (when you don't have your old device)
Enable biometric authentication
Enjoy a smoother, all-round mobile banking experience. With just a smile, you can authenticate your identity and access mobile banking in seconds using iOS Face ID*. You can also log on and confirm transactions with just a touch in the HSBC HK App using iOS Touch ID or Fingerprint ID on compatible AndroidTM devices1.
Activate the Mobile Security Key and enable biometric authentication today to make your mobile and online banking experience that much easier. To learn more about the associated risks of using biometric authentication, please refer to FAQs listed below on this page.
*Available on compatible devices only.
How to enable biometric authentication on compatible devices (Face ID/ Touch ID for Apple devices and *Fingerprint ID for Android™ devices)
Verify your identity after Mobile Security Key activation
We have further strengthened our security measures to protect customers. After activating your Mobile Security Key, you may need to further verify your identity before you can enjoy full access to HSBC Online and Mobile Banking services. This does not apply to new customers# who activated Mobile Security Key on the same day they opened their account.
You may verify your identity using any of these methods:
1. Via the HSBC HK App
You'll be prompted to verify your identity* using a one-time password (OTP) via SMS after you log on. This is only available at least 24 hours after you activate Mobile Security Key.
Alternatively, you can also follow these steps:
Step 1: Tap the profile icon on the top right corner.
Step 2: Under 'Settings and preferences', select 'Security' > 'Verify identity'.
Step 3: Follow the instructions to complete the verification.
2. Via an ATM
Use the 'Verify identity after Mobile Security Key activation' function at any HSBC/Hang Seng ATM in Hong Kong.
Step 1: Select 'Other services'
Step 2: Select 'Verify identity after Mobile Security Key activation'
Step 3. Select 'Confirm'
Step 4. You will receive an on-screen confirmation that you have successfully verified your identity
3. Via our enquiry hotline
Please call us for assistance.
HSBC Jade customers: (852) 2233 3033
HSBC Premier customers: (852) 2233 3322
Other customers: (852) 2233 3000
What happens if I do not verify my identity after activating Mobile Security Key?
Generate security code - Quick Guide
How to 'Generate Security Code'
Reset Mobile Security Key password - Quick Guide
How to reset your Mobile Security Key password
Frequently Asked Questions
What about my existing physical Security Device?
How do I use Mobile Security Key to log on to Personal Internet Banking?
I have activated Mobile Security Key on a jailbroken / rooted device earlier, but I could no longer access the mobile app anymore, what should I do?
Can I use Face ID to log on and confirm transactions in the HSBC HK Mobile Banking app?
What do I need to know before enabling Face ID for HSBC HK Mobile Banking app?
Got further questions? You can find out more about the app and the Mobile Security Key on our FAQ page.
- The screen displays and the images of the website are for reference and illustration purposes only.
- Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Touch ID and Face ID are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries/regions. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC. Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
- HSBC adopts the latest internet security measure with the adoption of EV SSL Certificate (Extended Validation SSL Certificate). With this verification certificate in place, you can instantly know you're on a genuine HSBC website. We suggest customer to check the digital certificate with a desktop computer.
- iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch with iOS/iPadOS version 13.0 or above (excluding Beta version)
- Android™ devices with Android™ OS version 7.0 or above (excluding Beta version)
1 Fingerprint authentication is available on compatible Android™ devices running Android™ OS version 8.0 or later. In addition, the following devices will support fingerprint authentication: Samsung (Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A70, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A40s, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A9, Galaxy A8 Star, Galaxy A7, Galaxy A6+, Galaxy J6, Galaxy C9 Pro, Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Note 5), LG (Q Stylus+, V40 ThinQ, V30+, V20, G7, G6, G6+), Sony (Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual, Xperia XA2 Plus, Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XZ1 Dual, Xperia 10, Xperia 10+, Xperia 1, Xperia L3), Google (Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel), Xiaomi (Mi 9 T Pro, Mi 9S, Mi 9T, Mi 9, Mi 8, Mi A3, Mi A2, Redmi Note 7, Mix 2S, POCOPHONE F1), Huawei (Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20 X, Mate 20, Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, P30, P30 Pro, P 20, P20 Pro, nova 4, nova 3i, Y9 Prime 2019), Nokia (9 Pureview, 8.1, 8, 8 Sirocco, 7 Plus, 6.1 Plus), OnePlus (7, 7 Pro, 6, 5T, 6T), OPPO (R17, R15, Reno 10X Zoom, Find X), Blackberry (Key2, Key2LE), Vivo (NEX Dual Display, iQOO Pro), ZenFone(6) and HTC (U12+).
2 You should ensure that your mobile phone and other telecommunications equipment and related services are capable of receiving Push Notification Alerts through push notifications. Push notification runs on the service provided by Apple Inc. ("Apple") or Google LLC ("Google"), as applicable. Any delay or failure in delivering push notification messages due to Apple's or Google's service or network connectivity is beyond our control.