Important risk warning
Take me straight to
Here's an illustrative example to help you understand how you could capture growth opportunities with Deposit Plus.
John is planning a trip to Australia in the next 2 weeks. He wants to exchange some money in HKD for AUD, and he believes that AUD/HKD will remain stable in the coming week.
We'll assume that the AUD/HKD spot rate is 5.2228.
If John makes an exchange now, he will exchange HKD10,000 for AUD1,914.68.
|Deposit currency||Linked currency||Tenor||Spot rate (AUD/HKD)||Conversion rate (AUD/HKD)||Interest rate|
|HKD||AUD||14 days||5.2228||5.2209||6.50% p.a.|
|Spot rate (AUD/HKD)||5.2228|
|Conversion rate (AUD/HKD)||5.2209|
|Interest rate||6.50% p.a.|
Scenario 1: AUD appreciates against HKD
AUD rises to or above the conversion rate against HKD
Scenario 2: AUD depreciates against HKD slightly
AUD drops below the conversion rate against HKD
Scenario 3: AUD depreciates against HKD considerably
AUD drops below the conversion rate considerably against HKD
Return value less than the original amount invested
The Bank becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations
Idle foreign currency from last trip
Ready to place a Deposit Plus?
Via HSBC Online Banking
You may also be interested in
Capture currency market opportunities to generate interest and increase potential return starting from HKD5,000
How does an Equity-linked investment (ELI) work?
See how an equity-linked investment (ELI) may work for you through different scenarios
How does Capital Protected Investment – Currency Linked III (CPI III) work?
See how a Capital Protected Investment – Currency Linked III (CPI III) may work for you and what payouts you may receive
Scenario analysis disclaimer
The above scenarios are provided for illustrative purposes only, and do not reflect a complete analysis of all possible gain and loss scenarios that may arise during any actual investment. No representation or warranty is made by the Bank that any scenario described above can be duplicated under real investment conditions. Actual results may vary from the results shown above, and variations may be material.
Disclaimer & risk disclosure
The information shown on this website is neither a recommendation, an offer, nor a solicitation for any investment product or service. Investment involves risk. You should carefully consider whether any investment product or service mentioned herein is appropriate for you in view of your personal circumstances. Past performance is no guide to future performance. Investors should refer to the individual product explanatory memorandum or offering document for further details and risks involved. The price of investment products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling investment products.
Deposit Plus is not regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission (the 'SFC'). The offering documents of Deposit Plus have not been reviewed by the SFC or any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. You should exercise caution when buying any Deposit Plus.
Risk disclosure – Deposit Plus
- Not a time deposit – Deposit Plus is NOT equivalent to, nor should it be treated as a substitute for, time deposit. It is NOT a protected deposit and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong.
- Derivatives risk – Deposit Plus is embedded with FX option(s). Option transactions involve risks, especially when selling an option. Although the premium received from selling an option is fixed, you may sustain a loss well in excess of such premium amount, and your loss could be substantial.
- Limited potential gain – The maximum potential gain is limited to the interest on the deposit.
- Maximum potential loss – Deposit Plus is not principal-protected. You must be prepared to incur loss as a result of depreciation in the value of the currency paid (if the deposit is converted to the linked currency at maturity). Such loss may offset the interest earned on the deposit and may even result in losses in the principal amount of the deposit.
- Not the same as buying the linked currency – Investing in Deposit Plus is not the same as buying the linked currency directly.
- Market risk – The net return of Deposit Plus will depend upon the exchange rate of the deposit currency against the linked currency prevailing at the deposit fixing time on the deposit fixing date. Movements in exchange rates can be unpredictable, sudden and drastic, and affected by complex political and economic factors.
- Liquidity risk – Deposit Plus is designed to be held until maturity. You do not have a right to request early termination of this product before maturity. Under special circumstances, HSBC has the right to accept your early redemption request at its sole discretion and on a case by case basis. HSBC will provide an indication of the redemption price upon such request. Your return upon such early redemption will likely be lower than that if the deposit were held until maturity and may be negative.
- Credit risk of HSBC – Deposit Plus is not secured by any collateral. When you invest in this product, you will be relying on HSBC's creditworthiness. If HSBC becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations under this product, you can only claim as an unsecured creditor of HSBC. In the worst case, you could suffer a total loss of your deposit amount.
- Currency risk – If the deposit currency and/or linked currency is not your home currency, and you choose to convert it back to your home currency upon maturity, you may make a gain or loss due to exchange rate fluctuations.
- Risks relating to RMB – You should note that the value of RMB against other foreign currencies fluctuates and will be affected by, amongst other things, the PRC government's control (eg the PRC government regulates conversion between RMB and foreign currencies), which may adversely affect your return under this product. The value of your investment will be subject to the risk of exchange rate fluctuation. In case you receive RMB as the linked currency at maturity and you choose to convert your maturity proceeds to other currencies, you may suffer loss in principal. This product will be denominated (if the deposit currency is in RMB) and settled (received in RMB at maturity) in RMB deliverable in Hong Kong, which is different from that of RMB deliverable in mainland China.