Live worry-free with premium refundable critical illness coverage
Get covered against top critical illnesses including cancer, heart disease, stroke and 70+ other illnesses and conditions. Your premiums will not change throughout the payment term. What's more, you'll get a guaranteed full premium refund if you have not made any claims by the end of your policy term.
Log on to HSBC Online Banking to apply now. Or call us on (852) 2233 3130. View hotline operating hours.
Extensive critical illness coverage
Get covered against 76 critical illnesses, including cancer, heart disease and stroke—which are among the top 10 causes of death worldwide1
Extended coverage for the unexpected
Stay protected in the event of 4 specified conditions beyond the causes of critical illness including terminal illness, total permanent disability, loss of independent existence or major medical treatment2
Guaranteed full premium refund
Recover a guaranteed 101% of your total premiums paid3 if you have not made any claims by the end of your policy
More protection at a lower cost
Enjoy a high benefit ratio (sum insured divided by total premiums paid3) with coverage for HKD100,000 from just HKD7.70 a day4—plus, your premiums will not change throughout the payment term
Special offer – Enjoy 5% off
- Enjoy 5% off your first year's premium when you apply online with promo code 'TR5EAT'. Offer ends 31 March 2023. T&Cs apply.
- Well+ members can enjoy 50% off your first year's premium with 5-year premium payment period; or 20% off your first year's premium with 2-year premium payment period, T&Cs apply; and get a chance to earn extra $500 RewardCash with "Get insured" Challenge, T&Cs apply. Offers end 31 March 2023.
*A guaranteed return of 101% total premiums paid will be made if no claim has been made as at policy maturity (end of the 10th policy year).
The amount shown is subject to rounding adjustments. It is indicative and for reference only.
What's right for me?
Critical illness or medical insurance?
Critical illness insurance covers you for major illnesses including cancer, heart disease and stroke. On the other hand, medical insurance covers you for medically necessary treatment and hospitalisation costs. You'll be reimbursed per the incurred costs only. Before you decide, ask yourself:
"Can I support myself or my dependents financially in the event of critical illness?" Learn more on medical expenses.
Medical (VHIS) or critical illness insurance, either one or both? Subscribe to “Your one-stop guide to getting insured”, learn important facts and tips about the two insurance types within two weeks, so you and your family can stay protected
How much protection do I need?
Our Swift Guard Critical Illness Plan offers coverage options ranging from HKD100,000 to HKD2.5 million. So what amount of protection should you choose?
Treating critical illnesses is expensive. The post-treatment rehabilitation process can also be very long and costly. The recovery time for cancer and other critical illnesses is usually 2–3 years, but this may vary for each case. You can start by checking if you have enough savings reserved for the next 2–3 years in the event you need to take time off work.
This sum can be a starting point for estimating the coverage you need. You should also factor in your living expenses, any other insurance protection you already have which could cover your medical treatment expenses, your personal finances and potential treatment costs.
How to apply
To apply for the HSBC Swift Guard Critical Illness Plan, you'll need to meet all these requirements:
- the policyholder should be aged7 19 or above
- if you apply online, the insured person should be aged7 between 19 and 55
- if you apply via our hotline, the insured person should be aged7 between 15 days after birth to 55 years
- meet our requirements for nationality (country/region/territory), address and residency—which may be subject to change from time to time
Applying online? Here's what you'll need to have on hand:
- your HKID
- an existing HSBC HKD bank account
You’ll have to login to your online banking to apply online. Please note that the insured person and the policyholder must be the same person.
HSBC Swift Guard Critical Illness Plan is a premium refundable Critical Illness plan underwritten by HSBC Life (International) Limited. It is not equivalent or similar to a bank deposit. Policyholders are subject to HSBC Life's credit risk and early surrender loss.
Apply online now
Log on and apply now in 5 simple steps.
Need help? You can get in touch with us via Live Chat. We're available from 10:30am to 10:00pm, Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).
Or call us to apply
To apply, call our hotline on (852) 2233 3130. Lines are open from 11:00am to 7:30pm, Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).
Find out more
Can you summarise the plan for me?
Are there any additional benefits included in this policy?
What are the 76 critical illnesses and 4 specified conditions covered under this plan?
What's the difference between HSBC Swift Guard Critical Illness Plan and other medical insurance plans?
What is benefit ratio and how is it calculated?
Can I renew my policy after the 10 years?
You may also be interested in
HSBC VHIS Flexi Plan
A voluntary health insurance plan offering full coverage11 on medical expenses, annual benefits of HKD5 million or more, and tax savings—available online
Medical and critical illness insurance
Safeguard yourself against unexpected medical expenses and critical illnesses
HSBC Health Goal Insurance Plan
A life insurance plan with potential wealth appreciation and protection against 3 major critical illnesses.
Discover how insurance can protect you, your money and your loved ones—check out our articles and tips.
- "The top 10 causes of death" as released by the World Health Organization in December 2020.
- This benefit is only payable if the insured person fulfils all 3 of the following criteria within the same hospitalisation period:
- undergone a complex surgery per defined in the policy provisions
- qualified intensive care unit stay for 5 continuous days or more
- receiving invasive life support
- The total premiums paid refers to the total amount of premiums due and paid for the basic plan as of the policy termination date, subject to the terms of the policy. It is for the calculation of the death benefit and net cash value. It excludes any aggregate premium balance and non-guaranteed interest accumulated under the policy unless and until such part of the premium is actually due and paid on that date.
- Based on the sum insured of HKD100,000 of a non-smoking male who is 19 years old7 at his next birthday , with 5-year premium payment period, (annual premium payments). The figure is calculated by annual premium divided by 365, subject to rounding adjustment.
- MoneyHero: Targeted therapy for cancer/prices/side effects and eligibility for government subsidies 2022.
- Yahoo! News 21 May 2019: Early-stage symptoms not pronounced - 60% of lung cancer patients receive late-stage diagnosis! New targeted therapy prolongs survival by close to 4 years.
- The age refers to the age the insured person or policyholder, whichever is applicable, will be on their next birthday.
- The aggregate premium option lets you prepay the required premiums at a discount as determined and specified by HSBC Life. The required annual premium will then be deducted from the aggregate premium balance on the relevant premium due dates.
The balance of the aggregate premium after the deduction of the annual premium on their relevant due dates will be accumulated with interest at a non-guaranteed interest rate determined by HSBC Life that may change from time to time at HSBC Life's discretion.
If you choose this payment method, you should ensure you can afford to leave your prepaid premiums in your policy. No withdrawals from the balance of the prepaid premiums and non-guaranteed interest accumulated will be allowed once paid, except in the event of the death or diagnosed critical illness of the insured person or the surrender of your policy. You are therefore advised to choose a payment method that best fits your financial circumstances at the time of your application. Please refer to 'Important notes – Aggregate premium payment option' in the product brochure for more details.
- The unemployment benefit is applicable to policyholders aged7 between 19 and 64 who holds a Hong Kong Identity Card. This benefit is not available if the aggregate premium payment option has been chosen, and will terminate when the policyholder attains the age7 of 65 or all due premiums have been paid or the policy is terminated (whichever is earlier). Such benefit is not applicable to aggregate premium policy. Please refer to the policy provisions of the supplementary benefits for detailed terms and conditions of coverage and exceptions.
- 4 conditions that result from beyond the causes of the critical illness extended coverage for any undiscovered new disease or injury.
- Full coverage refers to the actual amount of eligible expenses and other expenses that are charged and payable per the terms and benefits of this policy.
The HSBC Swift Guard Critical Illness Plan is a premium refundable Critical Illness plan underwritten by HSBC Life (International) Limited ("HSBC Life") which is authorised and regulated by the Insurance Authority ("IA") to carry on long-term insurance business in the Hong Kong SAR. It is not a bank deposit or bank savings plan. Please refer to the product brochure for detailed features and the policy provisions for the detailed terms and conditions.
HSBC Life is incorporated in Bermuda with limited liability, and is one of the HSBC Group's insurance underwriting subsidiaries. The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited ('HSBC') is registered in accordance with the Insurance Ordinance (Cap. 41 of the Laws of Hong Kong) as an agency of HSBC Life for the distribution of life insurance products in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. This product is a product of HSBC Life but not HSBC and it is intended only for sale in the Hong Kong SAR. If the policyholder discontinues and / or surrenders the insurance plan in the early policy years, the amount of the benefit he / she will get back may be considerably less than the amount of the premium he / she has paid (and no return of premium paid during the 1st policy year). Your benefit is subject to the credit risk of HSBC Life. Your premiums paid will form part of HSBC Life's assets. You do not have any rights or ownership over any of those assets. Your recourse is against HSBC Life only.
HSBC Life is not liable for any loss, damage or costs which may arise from or relating to any information based on third-party sources educational content intended for reference only. HSBC Life does not guarantee the accuracy of any such information.
In respect of an eligible dispute (as defined in the Terms of Reference for the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in relation to the Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme) arising between HSBC and you out of the selling process or processing of the related transaction, HSBC is required to enter into a Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme process with you; however, any dispute over the contractual terms of the above insurance product should be resolved between HSBC Life and you directly.