Why choose a VHIS plan?
Continuous lifetime assurance
Live long and worry-free, with our guaranteed policy renewals of up to age4 100
Cover for unknown pre-existing conditions
Life may be full of uncertainty, but VHIS can cover you for unknown pre-existing conditions5
Coverage for medically necessary treatments
You'll be covered for medically necessary treatments such as day case procedures, prescribed diagnostic imaging tests6 and prescribed non-surgical cancer treatments
Get tax relief
Enjoy tax relief and claim a tax deduction2 of up to HKD8,000 per insured person annually
Explore our VHIS plans
HSBC VHIS Flexi Plan
A voluntary health insurance plan offering full coverage7 on medical expenses, annual benefits of HKD5 million or more, and tax savings—available online
HSBC VHIS Standard Plan
An essential standard voluntary health insurance plan offering annual benefits of up to HKD420,000 to cover your basic healthcare needs and tax savings
Medical (VHIS) or critical illness insurance, either one or both?
Sign up for “Your one-stop guide to getting insured” for free and learn important facts and tips about the two insurance types within two weeks.
Is group medical coverage truly enough?
Why you should not rely solely on your company's medical insurance to cover you in the event of critical illness
Check what your medical insurance policy excludes
What exclusions to look out for when you review your medical insurance policy so you're less likely to be surprised
Up to HK$68,000 potential tax savings
Enjoy potential tax savings13 plus premium discounts with our QDAP and VHIS plans now!
How to apply
Applying for a VHIS Flexi Plan is easy. Get a quote to get started online right away.
Want to apply for the VHIS Standard Plan instead or got questions about VHIS plans? You can book a face-to-face appointment or video-enabled meeting with us.
Other ways to apply
Find out more
VHIS registration information
What's the difference between the two HSBC Voluntary Health Insurance Scheme (VHIS) plans?
Is this plan eligible for tax deduction?
Will I get medical coverage under VHIS plans even if I contracted COVID-19?
Can I change my plan type or level after my policy has come into effect?
What are the underwriting arrangements of my application?
What should I do if I have enquiries or complaints about VHIS?
- "HSBC Life invested 160 million on health technology, reduces medical claims from 5 days to 5 minutes" as released by Sing Tao on 15 May 2023.
- Only policyholders and their spouses who are Hong Kong taxpayers are eligible for tax deduction. Tax deduction for qualifying premiums paid under a VHIS policy (excluding levy) will be based on the premiums paid after deducting the premium discount, if any. Your actual tax savings may be lower than the amount in the example, as each case is determined by the Inland Revenue Department. For more information, please visit www.ird.gov.hk or seek independent tax advice.
- Claims paid ratio is calculated as total claims amount paid divided by total claims amount incurred (after the consideration of any deductible and/or claims amount paid by first insurers for second claims, if applicable) in local currency, of the approved cases in 2022.
- The age refers to the age you were on your last birthday.
- Pre-existing condition(s) shall mean, in respect of the insured person, any sickness, disease, injury, physical, mental or medical condition or physiological degradation, including congenital condition, that has existed prior to the policy issuance date or the policy effective date, whichever is earlier. Unknown pre-existing condition(s) refers to any pre-existing condition(s) that the policy holder and/or insured person was not aware and would not reasonably have been aware of at the time of application. Application is subject to HSBC Life. Please refer to the policy provisions for the full terms and conditions.
- Tests covered here only include computed tomography ("CT" scan), magnetic resonance imaging ("MRI" scan), positron emission tomography ("PET" scan), PET-CT combined and PET-MRI combined.
- Full coverage refers to the actual amount of eligible expenses and other expenses that are charged and payable per the terms and benefits of this policy.
- Eligible expenses incurred in other areas worldwide shall be covered according to the VHIS Standard Plan terms and benefits. Greater China shall mean mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Asia shall mean Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Greater China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam. Worldwide shall mean no geographical limitation, except for psychiatric treatment and cash benefit for lower ward classes which are applicable to Hong Kong only. Please refer to the additional benefit provisions endorsement for more details.
- Eligible expenses incurred in respect of the same item shall not be recoverable under more than one benefit item in the table above.
- HSBC Life shall have the right to ask for proof of recommendation, e.g. a written referral or testifying statement on the claim form by the attending doctor or a registered medical practitioner.
- The percentage here applies to the surgeon's fee actually payable or the benefit limit for the surgeon's fee according to the surgical categorisation, whichever is lower.
- Treatments covered here only include radiotherapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy and hormonal therapy.
- The maximum tax deduction amount is calculated based on the assumption that a taxpayer paying a total of HKD60,000 of premiums under the qualifying deferred annuity policy (QDAP) and HKD8,000 of premiums under the voluntary health insurance scheme (VHIS) policy after deducting all premium discounts (not including levy on both premiums) during the relevant year of assessment. The actual tax saving may be lower than the illustrated amount and will be subject to review and agreement by the Inland Revenue Department.
The HSBC VHIS Plans are life insurance plans underwritten by HSBC Life (International) Limited ("HSBC Life") which is authorised and regulated by the Insurance Authority ("IA") to carry on long-term insurance business in the Hong Kong SAR. They are not bank deposit or bank savings plan. Please refer to the product brochures for detailed features and the policy provisions for the detailed terms and conditions.
HSBC Life is incorporated in Bermuda with limited liability, and is one of the HSBC Group's insurance underwriting subsidiaries. The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited ('HSBC') is registered in accordance with the Insurance Ordinance (Cap. 41 of the Laws of Hong Kong) as an agency of HSBC Life for the distribution of life insurance products in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. These products are products of HSBC Life but not HSBC and they are intended only for sale in the Hong Kong SAR. Your benefit is subject to the credit risk of HSBC Life. Your premiums paid will form part of HSBC Life's assets. You do not have any rights or ownership over any of those assets. Your recourse is against HSBC Life only.
In respect of an eligible dispute (as defined in the Terms of Reference for the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in relation to the Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme) arising between HSBC and you out of the selling process or processing of the related transaction, HSBC is required to enter into a Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme process with you; however, any dispute over the contractual terms of the above insurance product should be resolved between HSBC Life and you directly.