Important Risk WarningExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
- Deposit Plus is a structured investment product involving derivatives. The investment decision is yours but you should not invest in Deposit Plus unless the intermediary who sells it to you has explained to you that the product is suitable for you having regard to your financial situation, investment experience and investment objectives.
- Investors should not make investment decision based on this marketing material alone.
- Investment involves risk and past performance is not indicative of future performance.
- The price of structured products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling structured products.
- This is a structured investment product, which is NOT a protected deposit and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong. This product is NOT principal protected.
View detailed risk disclosure. Please also refer to the offering documents for further details including risk factors.
Invest in FX linked structured product with HSBC
A FX-linked product which generate interest and increase potential return, while meeting your need for foreign currencies.
Features and benefits
- Generate interest and capture chance to increase potential return
- Chance to exchange your preferred currency at a lower-than-current spot rate1
- Flexible choice of investment tenors, with investment period can be as short as one week
1May suffer loss if the deposit is converted to the linked currency.
Product Risk Level: Low to Medium
- Low chance of losing a significant portion of your capital over the term of the investment (although this is not guaranteed). Expected to demonstrate moderately low level of price fluctuations over short periods of time
Get the latest Deposit Plus interest rate
Investment Involves risk
Set up Deposit Plus through HSBC Personal Internet Banking
HSBC Personal Internet Banking Users:
Not yet a HSBC Personal Internet Banking user? Register online for HSBC Personal Internet Banking or visit a branch directly to make a Structured Product placement
Why Deposit Plus?
Satisfy your needs
Serve foreign currency needs such as for children's overseas education, retirement or travel
Enjoy enhanced potential returns
Offer interest income and increase potential return by utilizing your currencies on hand
Exchange FX at Pre-determined rate*
Offer chance to exchange your preferred currency at a lower-than-current spot rate
*May suffer loss if the deposit is converted to the linked currency
Choose your preferred currency pair from a variety of 11 currencies, tailor-make your DPS with desired conversion rate, interest rate or deposit period
Convenient Trading Platform
Place Deposit Plus through our 24-hour2 online and mobile platforms, which offer the longest trading hours in town
2 Customers can trade from Monday 6am to Saturday 5am except for system maintenance periods from 9pm to 9.30pm and 5.20am to 5.35am Monday to Friday and public holidays in Hong Kong
How to invest / get started with HSBC?
How does Deposit Plus work?
- Place a minimum deposit amount of HKD50,000 or its equivalent in other currencies, subject to the minimum deposit amount of the respective currency
- Choose your preferred currency pair from a variety of 11 currencies (including cross currency pair such as AUD linked to NZD or EUR linked to GBP, etc.). Currencies include HKD, USD, CNY, SGD, AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, NZD, JPY and CHF
- Flexibility to pre-define your desired conversion rate, interest rate or deposit period (one week to three months)
Manage your investments online with HSBC
Subscribe Deposit Plus and place order through HSBC Personal Internet banking
- 24-hour round-the-clock online service to stay up to date with foreign currency market
- Real time market data and FX news provided via spot reference and trend chart, technical analysis such as RSI, moving averages, support and resistance levels, related FX news and economic indicators
How much does it cost?
In general, there is no additional charges on investing Structured Products, all operational, administrative and hedging costs, etc have already been contained and subsumed within the calculation of the return and/or other variables of the product.
- Not a time deposit - Deposit Plus is NOT equivalent to, nor should it be treated as a substitute for, time deposit. It is NOT a protected deposit and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong.
- Derivatives risk - Deposit Plus is embedded with FX option(s). Option transactions involve risks, especially when selling an option. Although the premium received from selling an option is fixed, you may sustain a loss well in excess of such premium amount, and your loss could be substantial.
- Limited potential gain - The maximum potential gain is limited to the interest on the deposit.
- Maximum potential loss - Deposit Plus is not principal protected. You must be prepared to incur loss as a result of depreciation in the value of the currency paid (if the deposit is converted to the linked currency at maturity). Such loss may offset the interest earned on the deposit and may even result in losses in the principal amount of the deposit.
- Not the same as buying the linked currency - Investing in Deposit Plus is not the same as buying the linked currency directly.
- Market risk - The net return of Deposit Plus will depend upon the exchange rate of the deposit currency against the linked currency prevailing at the deposit fixing time on the deposit fixing date. Movements in exchange rates can be unpredictable, sudden and drastic, and affected by complex political and economic factors.
- Liquidity risk - Deposit Plus is designed to be held until maturity. You do not have a right to request early termination of this product before maturity. Under special circumstances, the Bank has the right to accept your early redemption request at its sole discretion and on a case by case basis. The Bank will provide an indication of the redemption price upon such request. Your return upon such early redemption will likely be lower than that if the deposit were held until maturity and may be negative.
- Credit risk of the Bank - Deposit Plus is not secured by any collateral. When you invest in this product, you will be relying on the Bank's creditworthiness. If the Bank becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations under this product, you can only claim as an unsecured creditor of the Bank. In the worst case, you could suffer a total loss of your deposit amount.
- Currency risk - If the deposit currency and/or linked currency is not your home currency, and you choose to convert it back to your home currency upon maturity, you may make a gain or loss due to exchange rate fluctuations.
- Risks relating to RMB - You should note that the value of RMB against other foreign currencies fluctuates and will be affected by, amongst other things, the PRC government's control (for example, the PRC government regulates conversion between RMB and foreign currencies), which may adversely affect your return under this product. The value of your investment will be subject to the risk of exchange rate fluctuation. In case you receive RMB as Linked Currency at maturity and you choose to convert your maturity proceed to other currencies, you may suffer loss in principal. This product will be denominated (if Deposit Currency being RMB) and settled (when receive RMB at maturity) in RMB deliverable in Hong Kong, which is different from that of RMB deliverable in Mainland China.
RisksExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
Related productsExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
EligibilityExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
Additional informationExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
DisclaimerExpanded, press enter to collapse Collapsed, press enter to expand
The information shown in this website is neither a recommendation, an offer, nor a solicitation for any investment product or service. Investment involves risk. You should carefully consider whether any investment product or service mentioned herein is appropriate for you in view of your personal circumstances. Past performance is no guide to future performance. Investors should refer to the individual product explanatory memorandum or offering document for further details and risks involved. The price of investment products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling investment products.