IMPORTANT RISK WARNING
- Capital Protected Investment Deposit (CPI) is a structured product which may involve derivatives. The investment decision is yours but you should not invest unless the intermediary who sells it to you has explained to you that the product is suitable for you having regard to your financial situation, investment experience and investment objectives.
- CPI is not equivalent to time deposit.
- CPI is not protected deposits, and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong.
- Issuer's Risk - you rely on the issuer's creditworthiness. CPI is subject to both the actual and perceived measures of creditworthiness of the issuer. There is no assurance of protection against a default by the issuer in respect of the repayment obligations. In the worst case scenario (e.g. insolvency of the issuer), you might not be able to recover the principal and interest/ coupon, if applicable, and the potential maximum loss could be 100% of invested amount and no coupon received.
- Credit risk of the Bank - Capital Protected Investment Deposit (CPI) is not secured by any collateral. When you invest in this product, you will be relying on the Bank's creditworthiness. If the Bank becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations under this product, you can only claim as an unsecured creditor of the Bank. In the worst case, you could suffer a total loss of your deposit amount.
- Currency risk - If the deposit currency is not your home currency, and you choose to convert it back to your home currency upon maturity, you may make a gain or loss due to exchange rate fluctuations.
- Risk of early termination by the Bank - The Bank shall have the discretion to uplift a Deposit or any part thereof prior to the Maturity Date (subject to the deduction of such break costs or the addition of such proportion of the return or redemption amount, which may result in a figure less than the original principal amount of the Deposit) if it determines, in its sole discretion, that this is necessary or appropriate to protect any right of the Bank to combine accounts or set-off, or any security interest, or to protect the Customer's interests.
- Additional risks are disclosed in the Risk disclosure section. Please refer to it for details.
Please note that Structured Investment Deposit is not available for persons who are US citizen / with US nationality, are US resident or US tax payer, or have a US address (e.g. primary mailing, residence or business address in the US).
Renminbi Capital Protected Investment Deposit (CPI) - Currency Linked
If you want an investment that is designed to protect your original capital with potential yield enhancement, you may want to consider a structured product like a CPI.
- 100% protection of capital at maturity1
- Potential periodic coupon payments or higher interest return
- A range of tenor choices up to 24 months
See the Risk Disclosure for this product.
How to apply
HSBC Premier Personal Internet Banking customers only
Use your Security Device / Mobile Security Key to log on and apply
HSBC customers without a Security Device / Mobile Security Key
Manage Your Renminbi
Foreign currency management tools
Help And Support
- This product is designed to return your original capital at maturity, however, if the Bank becomes insolvent or default on its obligations under this product, you could suffer a total loss of your deposit amount, please refer to 'Credit risk of the Bank' in the offering document of Capital Protected Investment Deposit for details
The information shown in this website is neither a recommendation, an offer, nor a solicitation for any investment product or service. Investment involves risk. You should carefully consider whether any investment product or service mentioned herein is appropriate for you in view of your personal circumstances. Past performance is no guide to future performance. Investors should refer to the individual product explanatory memorandum or offering document for further details and risks involved. The price of investment products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling investment products.
- Market risk - The return of CPI will depend upon the exchange rates of currency pair against trigger rate at the fixing time on the fixing date. Movements in exchange rates can be unpredictable, sudden and drastic, and affected by complex political and economic factors. You must be prepared to take the risk of earning the lower payout/no return (if exchange rate performs against expectation) on the money invested.
- Risk of early termination by the Bank - The Bank shall have the discretion to uplift a Deposit or any part thereof prior to the Maturity Date (subject to the deduction of such break costs or the addition of such proportion of the return or redemption amount, which may result in a figure less than the original principal amount of the Deposit) if it determines, in its sole discretion, that this is necessary or appropriate to protect any right of the Bank to combine accounts or set-off, or any security interest, or to protect the customer's interests.
- Derivatives risk - CPI is embedded with FX option(s). Option transactions involve risks. If the exchange rate of the currency pair performs against expectation at the fixing time on the fixing dates, you can only earn zero / the minimum payout of the structure.
- Limited potential gain – The maximum potential gain is limited to the higher payout on the deposit less the principal amount or the sum of the coupons of the deposits, when exchange rate of currency pair at fixing moves in line with your anticipated direction.
- Not the same as buying the linked currency - Investing in CPI is not the same as buying the linked currency directly.
- Liquidity risk - CPI is designed to be held until maturity. You do not have a right to request early termination of this product before maturity. Under special circumstances, the Bank has the right to accept your early redemption request at its sole discretion and on a case by case basis. The Bank will provide an indication of the redemption price upon such request. Your return upon such early redemption will likely be lower than that if the deposit were held until maturity and may be negative.
Renminbi Related Products Risk Disclosure
- CPI (if denominated in renminbi) will be denominated and settled in renminbi deliverable in Hong Kong, which is different from that of renminbi deliverable in Mainland China.
You should carefully consider whether any investment products or services mentioned herein are appropriate for you in view of your investment experience, objectives, financial resources and circumstances.
The information contained in the website does not constitute an offer for the purchase or sale of any investment products.