A) General Terms and Conditions
Who may participate in RewardCash Programme
1. We may offer, vary, suspend or withdraw different benefits, schemes or arrangements under the RewardCash Programme. The availability or redemption of some benefits, schemes or arrangements may be governed by further terms and conditions specified by us from time to time. Such benefits, schemes or arrangements may include RewardCash e-Shop, RewardCash Certificate Scheme, Instant RewardCash Redemption at Merchants and Mileage Programme.
2. Only personal credit cards issued by us in Hong Kong and of the types specified by us from time to time are eligible for the RewardCash Programme. We have the right to specify and vary the types of credit cards that are eligible for the RewardCash Programme. We may exclude (a) any types of credit cards from the RewardCash Programme, or (b) any benefits, schemes or arrangements under the RewardCash Programme. Unless we specify otherwise, eligible credit cards include Visa, MasterCard and UnionPay credit cards. Eligible credit cards may be primary cards or additional cards and may be denominated in Hong Kong dollar, Renminbi or United States dollar. Standalone private label card and iCAN card are not eligible for the RewardCash Programme.
3. Your participation in the RewardCash Programme is governed by these Terms and Conditions and any other terms and conditions specified by us from time to time. If any dispute arises in relation to the RewardCash Programme, our decision or (if applicable) the relevant merchant's decision is final. Such dispute may include (a) any dispute over your eligibility for participation, your entitlement to benefits, records of redemption or other activities or transactions, or (b) any dispute between you and any merchant participating in the RewardCash Programme.
4. Except as specified in Clause 5, you earn $1 RewardCash for:
(a) every HK$250 spent with your eligible card denominated in Hong Kong dollar;
(b) every US$30 spent with your USD Visa Gold Card; or
(c) every RMB250 spent with your UnionPay Dual Currency credit card Renminbi sub-account.
5. We have the right not to award or allow you to use RewardCash unless your credit card and card account are valid and in good standing. We also have the right to specify and vary from time to time the RewardCash earning rate and the types of spending that do not earn RewardCash. At present, spending types that do not earn RewardCash include the following:
(a) cash advance;
(b) fees and charges;
(c) withdrawals under a cash or spending instalment plan;
(d) (i) online bill payments to the Inland Revenue Department made with any credit card,
(ii) online bill payments under bill type of policy loan repayment to insurance companies made with any credit card, and
(iii) online bill payments made with a Classic, Gold or UnionPay Dual Currency credit card.
RewardCash will be awarded only for the first HK$10,000 eligible online bill payments made using an eligible credit card in each monthly statement cycle; and
(e)quasi cash transactions including:
(i) betting and gambling transactions,
(ii) transactions at non-financial institutions (including purchase of foreign currency, money orders and travellers cheques),
(iii) transactions at financial institutions (including purchase of merchandise and services from banks),
(iv) wire transfers, and
(v) purchase and/or reload of stored value cards or e-Wallets (except for reload via Octopus Automatic Added Value Service), according to the merchant codes issued by Visa, Mastercard Worldwide or UnionPay (as applicable) from time to time.
6. A card transaction does not earn RewardCash if:
(a) it is unposted; or
(b) it is posted but subsequently cancelled, reversed or refunded (including tax refund on purchases) in whole or in part.
7. We will credit RewardCash earned by you to your card account. For the purpose of calculating your RewardCash entitlement, we will carry forward:
(a) any odd dollars spent to the next card transaction; and
(b) any odd dollars remaining on a statement date to the following statement month.
8. For a purchase under an instalment plan, you earn RewardCash as and when an instalment amount is posted to your card account. Posting of such amount may be in a lump sum or in instalments depending on the types and features of instalment plan.
Expiration of RewardCash
9. RewardCash earned is usually valid for at least one year and for up to two years. RewardCash earned with HSBC Premier MasterCard and HSBC Advance Visa Platinum cards is valid for up to three years. The expiry date for RewardCash earned on a card will be the date of the card statement of the expiry month (regardless of the year) of the card. The expiry month will be shown in your card statement and (if applicable) your HSBC Internet Banking profile.
Transfer, pooling and redemption of RewardCash
10. (a) RewardCash is not transferable unless we otherwise specify. RewardCash may be transferred from one primary cardholder to another through our Reward+ App. You will be able to receive RewardCash without installing Reward+ App or registering for the RewardCash transfer function on Reward+ App. (b) You may pool RewardCash earned with various credit cards issued to you under the same Hong Kong Identity Card or Passport number, unless otherwise specified in these Terms and Conditions. If you are a primary cardholder, you may also pool RewardCash earned with additional cards.
11. We have the right to specify and vary the amount of RewardCash for redeeming various products and services from time to time. We have the right to accept or decline your request to redeem RewardCash. If you have not accumulated sufficient amount of RewardCash to redeem a product or service, any request to redeem or any purchase order will be cancelled automatically.
12. Once a redemption request or purchase order has been accepted by us or a participating merchant, you are not allowed to change, cancel or seek refund on it or exchange any redeemed item.
13. (a) We have the right to forfeit or cancel any accumulated RewardCash and terminate your credit card if, in our reasonable opinion, there is fraud or abuse relating to the earning, pooling, redeeming or using (including transfer or conversion) of your RewardCash. Such fraud or abuse may include obtaining refund of the amount of a transaction by any means after earning RewardCash for that transaction. (b) We have the right to cancel any accumulated RewardCash upon the termination of your credit card by you or by us.
14. We have the right to specify and vary from time to time without notice (a) the merchants participating in the RewardCash Programme, or (b) any scheme or arrangement under the RewardCash Programme. We are not liable to you for any change of merchants. You may visit our website for the latest list of participating merchants.
15. Redemption of goods, services, vouchers, certificates, coupons or other benefits at a participating merchant is subject to the merchant's policy and the terms and conditions specified by the merchant.
16. We are not supplier of any products or services redeemable under the RewardCash Programme. We do not accept any liability relating to them. We are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen products, vouchers, certificates or coupons redeemed or exchanged by you under the RewardCash Programme.
17. The general terms and conditions set out in Section A of these Terms and Conditions apply to all benefits, schemes or arrangements under the RewardCash Programme. If any such benefit, scheme or arrangement is also governed by further terms and conditions, the further terms and conditions prevail over the general terms and conditions to the extent of any inconsistency between them. Such further terms and conditions may be set out in these Terms and Conditions or separately. We have the right to vary these Terms and Conditions and any other terms and conditions relating to the RewardCash Programme from time to time by notice.
18. No person other than you and us will have any right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Ordinance to enforce or enjoy the benefit of any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions.
19. These Terms and Conditions are governed by and will be construed according to Hong Kong laws. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Hong Kong courts.
20. The English version of these Terms and Conditions prevails to the extent of any inconsistency between the English and the Chinese versions. Any Chinese version of these Terms and Conditions is for reference only.
B) RewardCash e-Shop
21. We have the right to change or remove items available at RewardCash e-Shop from time to time without notice. An item is available only while stocks last.
22. You can redeem items at RewardCash e-Shop via HSBC Internet Banking or by returning a duly completed redemption form to us. We will mail a notification letter relating to your request to redeem RewardCash to your correspondence address within four to six weeks after we receive your request to redeem.
23. RewardCash must be used in a whole number at RewardCash e-Shop subject to a minimum of $10 RewardCash for each item. Every $1 RewardCash equals to HK$1 at RewardCash e-Shop. You may redeem items at RewardCash e-Shop using the full amount of RewardCash or a combination of RewardCash and cash. You must pay the cash portion by your HSBC credit card via HSBC Internet Banking.
24. Offers featured in a designated exclusive section of RewardCash e-Shop are available exclusively to holders of credit cards specified in that section.
25. The price indicated for an item at RewardCash e-Shop is in Hong Kong dollars unless we specify otherwise. If you redeem an item using your USD Visa Gold Card, we will process it as a foreign currency transaction.
26. (a) You may enjoy loyalty discounts specified by us from time to time. The loyalty discount is a discount on the observed retail price of the item calculated based on the year in which your longest held primary personal credit card was issued, and that card must be currently valid and in good standing.
(b) The loyalty discounts do not apply to the following: vouchers redemption, RewardCash Certificate Scheme, Instant RewardCash Redemption at Merchants, Mileage Programme (including mileage programme annual fee waiver), credit card annual fee waiver, or special redemption offers (as and when available).
(c) You are not allowed to use the loyalty discounts in conjunction with any other promotional offer or discount (unless we specify otherwise).
C) RewardCash Certificate Scheme
Register to participate
27. In order to participate in the RewardCash Certificate Scheme, you must successfully register via HSBC Internet Banking or return a duly completed registration form to us. You may request to register or update or cancel your registration for the RewardCash Certificate Scheme from time to time. We will usually process a request within the next working day (after receipt via HSBC Internet Banking) or within 14 working days (after receipt via other channels).
28. You may enrol various credit cards issued by us to you under the same Hong Kong Identity Card or Passport number for the RewardCash Certificate Scheme. If you are a primary cardholder, you may also enrol additional cards for the RewardCash Certificate Scheme. However, you must select one primary card for monthly RewardCash consolidation ("Consolidating Card").
Conversion of RewardCash to RewardCash Certificate
29. For calculating your RewardCash Certificate entitlement, accumulated and unused RewardCash in each of your enrolled card accounts will be automatically transferred to the Consolidating Card account on each statement date. That transfer will be shown in the respective card account statements of the relevant month.
30. We convert all accumulated and unused RewardCash in the Consolidating Card account as of each statement date of the Consolidating Card. Conversion of RewardCash to a RewardCash Certificate is made in blocks of $50 RewardCash. The total value of RewardCash Certificate accumulated and issued will be shown in each monthly statement of the Consolidating Card and via HSBC Internet Banking.
31. (a) We issue one RewardCash Certificate each quarter. We calculate the value of the RewardCash Certificate to be issued to you on the last working day of March, June, September and December in a calendar year. The RewardCash Certificate will be mailed to you in the following month (i.e. April, July, October and January respectively).
(b) Each RewardCash Certificate is valid for 6 months from its issue date. We will not re-issue or replace an expired RewardCash Certificate.
(c) You are not allowed to (i) reverse any RewardCash transferred from your enrolled credit cards to the Consolidating Card, or (ii) convert any RewardCash Certificate back to RewardCash.
32. We have the right to cancel your right to participate in the RewardCash Certificate Scheme at any time if any of your enrolled credit card accounts becomes invalid or is not in good standing, which may include a card account being cancelled or blocked for any reason. Where we cancel your participation, we have the right to cancel or make any other arrangement for any accumulated and unused RewardCash in your Consolidating Card account and any RewardCash Certificates issued to you.
Exchange RewardCash Certificates for merchant coupons
33. (a) You can exchange RewardCash Certificates for merchant coupons at one of the designated outlets of merchants participating in the RewardCash Certificate Scheme. You must present the original RewardCash Certificate and your Consolidating Card for exchanging merchant coupons.
(b) Each RewardCash Certificate can only be exchanged for merchant coupon(s) of equivalent value at one of the designated outlets of the participating merchant as stipulated on the RewardCash Certificate.
(c) If you report loss or theft of a RewardCash Certificate to us but the RewardCash Certificate subsequently comes into your possession, you are not allowed to exchange the RewardCash Certificate for merchant coupons. If you do so, in addition to our rights specified in Clause 13 above, we also have the right to debit the amount of RewardCash corresponding to the value of the merchant coupon(s) exchanged using the RewardCash Certificate, without prior notice to you.
34. You are not allowed to (a) redeem RewardCash Certificates or merchant coupons for cash, or (b) transfer them to another card account.
D) Instant RewardCash Redemption at Merchants
35. iCAN cards and UnionPay Dual Currency credit cards are not eligible for "Instant RewardCash Redemption at Merchants".
36. If you are a primary cardholder, all accumulated and unused RewardCash earned with various credit cards issued to you under the same Hong Kong Identity Card or Passport number and related additional cards will be pooled for redeeming and paying for products and services at the participating merchants. If you are an additional cardholder, only RewardCash earned with your card can be used for redeeming and paying for products and services at participating merchants.
37. Where the purchase price is less than the amount of RewardCash available for redemption, the amount of RewardCash equivalent to the purchase price will be deducted. Where the purchase price is greater than the amount of RewardCash available for redemption, the entire amount of available RewardCash will be deducted and you must pay the shortfall in the purchase price by your HSBC credit card. You cannot specify the amount of RewardCash to be deducted. RewardCash will be deducted instantly at the time a participating merchant processes your redemption order.
E) Mileage Programme
38. You are eligible to participate in the Mileage Programme only if you are eligible to participate in the RewardCash Programme.
39. We have the right to vary the airlines that participate in the Mileage Programme at any time by notice.
40. (a) You have to apply for participating in the Mileage Programme with respect to a participating airline, even if you are already a member of its frequent flyer programme. You have to apply by filling in an enrolment form prescribed by the participating airline. A participating airline may accept or decline your application at its discretion.
(b) Your eligibility and participation in the Mileage Programme with respect to a participating airline is subject to (i) the terms and conditions in the enrolment form, and (ii) any further terms and conditions which may be specified or varied by the participating airline from time to time. A copy of the participating airline's terms and conditions will be sent to you upon your enrolment with the participating airline.
41. You can pool accumulated and unused RewardCash in your eligible credit card accounts (whether primary or additional credit card accounts).
42. (a) You may transfer RewardCash from your credit card account to the frequent flyer programme account maintained in your personal capacity with a participating airline, as long as your credit card account is valid and in good standing, but where you pool RewardCash from both primary and additional cards, you may transfer the RewardCash only to the primary cardholder's frequent flyer programme account. You are not allowed to transfer RewardCash to a frequent flyer programme account in the name of another person who participates in the Mileage Programme.
(b) You must transfer a minimum of $40 RewardCash each time.
(c) You are allowed to transfer RewardCash only prior to its expiry date.
(d) After transferring RewardCash from your credit card account to your frequent flyer programme account with a participating airline, you are not allowed to (i) transfer it back to your credit card account, or (ii) re-transfer it to your frequent flyer programme account with another participating airline.
43. The conversion rate of RewardCash to miles differs for each participating airline, and it may be varied from time to time by notice. The latest conversion rate is available at our website.
44. You agree to pay us an annual fee for participating in the Mileage Programme as notified to you from time to time. You authorise us to debit the fee from any credit card account when it is due. The fee is non-refundable. The latest annual fee is available at our website.
45. (a) We take no responsibility for (i) RewardCash transferred by you to your frequent flyer programme account with any participating airline, or (ii) the acts or omissions of any participating airline.
(b) A participating airline may vary its policies or terms and conditions relating to the Mileage Programme or its frequent flyer programme at any time without notice, even if a variation affects mileage calculation, your accumulated mileage or other benefit entitlements, or benefit redemption.
F) Pay with RC
46. "Pay with RC" allows you (in your capacity as a primary cardholder) to use RewardCash to pay your credit card statements and transactions via channels designated by us. "Pay with RC" is part of the RewardCash Programme and it is governed by these Terms and Conditions and the Reward+ Terms and Conditions.
Consolidating Card is defined in Clause 28.
Hong Kong means the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
Reward+ App means the HSBC Reward+ mobile app which is a dedicated credit card mobile app to manage your HSBC card accounts in Hong Kong. It is governed by these Terms and Conditions, the Reward+ Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions applicable to specific functions available on the Reward+ App.
we, us, our means The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited and its successors and assigns.
you or your means the person to whom we issue a credit card (whether a primary card or an additional card).
Effective from 23 August 2019
NOTE: In case of discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions, the English version shall apply and prevail.
To borrow or not to borrow? Borrow only if you can repay!