How to register a Power of Attorney
When you want to register a Power of Attorney with us, both you and the Attorney are required to approach one of our branches in-person for the set-up. This step by step guide will assist you in giving another person access to your account(s)/in gaining access to another person's account(s).
Registering in Branch
- Check that you have all the pages of the Power of Attorney document.
- We will need to see either the original document or a copy certified by a qualified solicitor of Hong Kong.
- Each Attorney is required to provide identification documents. Please refer to Points to note for Power of Attorney set up.
- Each Attorney should provide residential address proof (if applicable) acceptable to the Bank.* Please see Points to note for Power of Attorney set up for examples of address proof acceptable to us.
- Take the full Power of Attorney document (either the original or a certified copy) to your appointment at one of our branches.
- If you want to register an Enduring Power of Attorney with us, it must have already been registered in the High Court of Hong Kong.
- For further information, please see Types of Power of Attorney.
* Please note that if the Attorneys are appointed 'jointly' we will need to see identification and address verification for each Attorney.
- Our branch staff will check the documents. If there are any restrictions/conditions in the documents, additional information or document(s) may be requested.
- An SMS (for customer with mobile phone record) or confirmation letter (for customer with mailing address and without mobile phone record) will be sent to the account holder when our records have been updated and the Power of Attorney (except Enduring Power of Attorney) is set up.