Equity Linked Investments Risk Disclosure
The following risks should be read together with the other risks contained in the "Risk Warnings" section in the relevant offering documents of the ELIs
- You should note that the information contained in this website does NOT form part of the offering documents of our ELIs. You should read all the offering documents of our ELIs (including the programme memorandum, the financial disclosure document, the relevant product booklet and the indicative term sheet and any addendum to any of such documents) before deciding whether to invest in our ELIs. If you have doubt on the content of this website, you should seek independent professional advice.
- Not a time deposit - ELI is NOT equivalent to, nor should it be treated as a substitute for, time deposit. It is NOT a protected deposit and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong.
- Not principal protected – ELIs are not principal protected: you could lose all of your investment.
- Limited potential gain – you may not receive any potential cash dividend amount - The maximum potential gain under this product is capped at an amount equal to the sum of the difference between the issue price and the nominal amount of the ELIs (if any) (less any cash settlement expenses) and the maximum periodic potential cash dividend amount(s) payable during the scheduled tenor (i.e the period from (and including) the issue date to (and including) the settlement date) of the ELIs. It is possible that you may not receive any potential cash dividend amount for the entire scheduled tenor of the ELIs.
- Re-investment risk - If our ELIs are early terminated, we will pay you the nominal amount of the ELIs (less any cash settlement expenses) and any accrued potential cash dividend amount calculated up to (and including) that call date. No further potential cash dividend amount will be payable following such early termination. Market conditions may have changed and you may not be able to enjoy the same rate of return if you re-invest these proceeds in other investments with similar risk parameters.
- No collateral – ELIs are not secured on any of our assets or any collateral.
- Limited market making arrangements are available and you may suffer a loss if you sell your ELIs before expiry - Our ELIs are designed to be held to their settlement date. Limited market making arrangements are available on a bi-weekly basis for all our ELIs. If you try to sell your ELIs before expiry, the amount you receive for each ELI may be substantially less than the issue price you paid for each ELI.
- Not the same as investing in the reference asset – Investing in our ELIs is not the same as investing in the reference asset. Changes in the market price of the reference asset may not lead to a corresponding change in the market value of, or your potential payout under, the ELIs.
- Not covered by Investor Compensation Fund – Our ELIs are not listed on any stock exchange and are not covered by the Investor Compensation Fund. There may not be any active or liquid secondary market.
- Maximum loss upon HSBC’s default or insolvency – Our ELIs constitute general, unsecured and unsubordinated contractual obligations of HSBC as issuer and of no other person (including the ultimate holding company of our group, HSBC Holdings plc). When you buy our ELIs, you will be relying on HSBC’s creditworthiness. If HSBC becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations under the ELIs, in the worst case scenario, you could lose all of your investment.
- Risks relating to RMB - You should note that the value of RMB against other foreign currencies fluctuates and will be affected by, amongst other things, the PRC government's control (for example, the PRC government regulates conversion between RMB and foreign currencies), which may adversely affect your return under this product when you convert RMB into your home currency. The value of your RMB-denominated ELIs will be subject to the risk of exchange rate fluctuation. If you choose to convert your RMB deposit to other currencies at an exchange rate that is less favourable than that in which you made your original conversion to RMB, you may suffer loss in principal. This product (if denominated in RMB) will be denominated and settled in RMB deliverable in Hong Kong, which is different from that of RMB deliverable in Mainland China.
- You may, at settlement, receive physical delivery of reference asset(s).
- Our ELIs may be terminated early by us according to the terms as set out in offering documents of our ELIs.
- Our ELIs are structured investment products which are embedded with derivatives.
- Investment returns (if any) not denominated in home currency are exposed to exchange rate fluctuations. Rates of exchange may cause the value of investments to go up or down.
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited is the issuer and product arranger of our ELIs.
The information contained in this website have not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong or any regulatory authority in Hong Kong.
Investment involves risk. The price of structured products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling structured products.
You should carefully consider whether any investment products or services mentioned herein are appropriate for you in view of your investment experience, objectives, financial resources and circumstances.
Making available to you any advertisements, marketing or promotional materials, market information or other information relating to a product or service shall not, by itself, constitute solicitation of the sale or recommendation of any product or service. If you wish to receive solicitation or recommendation from us, please contact us and, where relevant, go through our suitability assessment before transacting.