Report a lost or stolen card

Contact us immediately if your card has been lost or stolen. In just a few easy steps, we can block your existing card and issue you a replacement.

Online Banking

  1. Click on the ‘Report a lost or stolen card’ button
  2. Enter your log on details 
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to report lost and arrange replacement

By Phone

You can also report a lost or stolen card to us by calling our customer service hotline:

HSBC Premier customers: (852) 2233 3322

HSBC Advance customers: (852) 2748 8333

Other customers: (852) 2233 3000

To borrow or not to borrow? Borrow only if you can repay!