Top of main content

MPF for the self-employed

Withdrawing your accrued benefits

How to withdraw your accrued benefits

Whether you're ready to retire or your personal circumstances has been changed, the withdrawal of accrued benefits is fast and easy.

If you haven't retired yet, you may be able to withdraw your accrued benefits early or partially withdraw your additional voluntary contributions, depending on conditions.

Use our online banking platform to check your MPF account balances

Online banking allows you to check your MPF account balances and contribution history, and change your investment allocation.

If you're an existing online banking user, you can easily log on and access your MPF account.

When can I withdraw my accrued benefits?

At 65, you're able to withdraw your accrued benefits in one go or in instalments by filling in a claim form on the grounds of retirement. If you decide to leave your accrued benefits in your MPF account, they'll continue to be invested in your chosen funds. All you need do is fill in and submit the relevant forms.

According to MPF legislation, you can only withdraw your accrued benefits derived from mandatory contributions when one of the following circumstances occurs: 

Early retirement between 60 and 64

You can withdraw your accrued benefits in one go or in instalments on the grounds of retirement at the age of 65 or early retirement at the age of 60, and have permanently ceased employment or self-employment.

Small balance

Early MPF withdrawal may be possible if:

Your accrued benefits do not exceed HKD5,000, and you're required to make a statutory declaration that:

The time between your claim date and last mandatory contribution to any registered scheme date exceeds 12 months

You do not have accrued benefits in any other registered scheme. You don’t expect to become employed or self-employed in the future

Permanent departure from Hong Kong

You must provide proof that you have left or are about to leave Hong Kong permanently with no intention to return or resettle as a permanent resident. You're entitled to be paid accrued benefits on the grounds of permanent departure from Hong Kong only once in a lifetime, except as permitted by the MPF regulatory requirements.

Terminal illness

If you have a terminal illness that is likely to reduce your life expectancy to 12 months or less, you may be eligible for early withdrawal of your accrued benefits.

Total incapacity

If sickness or injury is preventing you from working, you may be eligible for early withdrawal. Total incapacity is when you're permanently unfit to perform the kind of work that you were performing before becoming totally incapacitated.


The accrued benefits of the deceased member can only be claimed by the scheme member's legal personal representative, as indicated in a Letter of Probate or Letter of Administration granted by the Probate Registry. The personal representative should complete the relevant forms for withdrawal.

Making partial withdrawals

Before you retire, you can make partial withdrawals of a minimum of HKD5,000 per withdrawal up to 12 times in a financial year free of charge from any or each of the following sub-accounts.

  • Voluntary contributions
  • ORSO transfers
  • Non-preserved MPF transfers
  • Flexi-Contributions

Additional voluntary contributions and Flexi-Contributions are designed to help you plan for retirement and should not be regarded as a source of funds for meeting short-term financial needs. We encourage you to consider your long-term financial needs for retirement before withdrawing funds from your additional voluntary contributions and Flexi-Contributions.

Fill in and submit the relevant form and designate a percentage for each sub-account from which you wish to make a withdrawal. There's no handling fee for making a partial withdrawal.

Tools and resources

Members should submit completed claim forms together with the necessary supporting documents listed in the forms to prove that you are eligible to withdraw accrued benefits under the relevant circumstances1.

Claim forms

You'll need to fill in the appropriate claim forms and any supporting forms or documents that may be required to make a withdrawal.

Please download and complete the form

Supporting documentation2

To make your claim, you'll need to submit the supporting documents listed below in addition to the claim form.

Please download and complete the form


1 Please use the Chinese version of the declaration form if you would read the jurat in Chinese.

2 In some cases, statutory declarations must be provided for early withdrawal. The statutory declaration must be made before and signed by a Commissioner for Oath at either the Public Enquiry Service Centre of the Home Affairs Department, a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace. A statutory declaration made in a place other than Hong Kong is also acceptable provided that it is made before and signed by a Notary Public or a person authorised under the law of that place to administer an oath or take a statutory declaration.

* Please note that additional forms will be required for mentally incapacitated scheme members. 

Important notes

  • The information contained here is for reference only and will be updated without notice. The provisions of the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance, other applicable legislation/regulations and guidelines or announcements published by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority shall prevail for any information on MPF system. If you are in doubt about the meaning or the effect of the contents of this website, you should seek independent professional advice.
  • Investment involves risks. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The value of financial instruments, in particular stocks and shares, and any income from such financial instruments, may go down as well as up. For further details including the product features and risks involved, please refer to the MPF Scheme Brochure.